Monday 16 November 2009

Good People

So, a while ago I wrote a short blog on Good People. This was a pretty self-explanatory list of (at the time) 4 people who I thought had done goods things and had not really been celebrated properly for them. A quick reminder of the list,

Tim Berners-Lee, he is the man who enabled you to read this by inventing the internet and then giving it away for free for the good of mankind. He works at CERN with the Large Hadron Collider.

Adam Neate, he is an artist who recently gave away 1000 paintings by leaving them around various places in London. He had used bit and pieces that he had found in London for his art and this was his way of giving back.

Jimmy Wales, this man founded Wikipedia. Wikipedia only employs 10 people and everyone else is a volunteer.

Richard Reynolds, he runs the website GuerrillaGardening.org which does great things and that I love.

Well we have a new entry. If I knew what I was doing there would be an MP3 fanfare here but I don’t so there isn’t. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Dr Tom Ord.

Dt Tom Ord

He has decided to give 10% of his earnings and all earnings over £20,000 to various charities and he will do this for the rest of his life.
He is an Ethics Researcher at Oxford University and has calculated that he will be able to give away £1 million, which he estimates could save 500,000 years of healthy life.
He has also set up a website, http://www.givingwhatwecan.org/, so that other people can join and pledge.

I think that counts as a good person. I am still taking nominations for people to be added to the list by the way.

The Good People Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment